Saturday, March 8, 2008

A Year of Nickfest

Those of you who love me know that Sunday is my 49th birthday, a time to celebrate and reflect on all the good things I bring to your life.

Today is the beginning of a year of festivities leading up to my 50th birthday. This will be a time of escalating gifts and parties culminating in an epic celebration on March 9, 2009.


Lets call the whole thing Nickfest.


It's not too early to start planning. In fact, a key opportunity was lost last weekend, when we were out to dinner with friends and I suggested that someone pick up my tab as the ceremonial first act of Nickfest. No one did. People, we can't have to many of these letdowns.


Anyway, I foresee Nickfest as a moveable feast involving all manner of activities, played out in Spokane and on vacation at many tropical paradises. I'm going to suggest to my boss that my work assignments in the coming year involve Cancun, the Bahamas, Greece, Wimbledon and the U.S. Open. And, of course, Las Vegas, without which it would hardly be worth turning 50.


We had a much smaller Nickfest a decade ago, when I turned 40. Family and friends gathered at my house for a weekend of modest activities and even more modest present-giving.


Lets make that Nickfest look like the first Super Bowl, and next year's be the latest Super Bowl.




``There's no reason this can't be the best Nickfest over. If we all just work together, I foresee great things.''

No comments: