Thursday, May 22, 2008

Goodbye to Dave



The Vegas Jacket and I went to Seattle last weekend for the going-away party of colleague Dave Ammons, who ended a 3-decade Associated Press career by taking a job with the state.


As is my custom, I wrote and performed a karaoke song for the occasion. It was a version of ``You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling,'' rewritten as ``We've Lost That Ammons Feeling.''


I think it was a showstopper, although the tune is quite complex and required a script AND my laptop to work properly. Thanks to Dave Herron for helping me get all the technical issues right.


It was very hot in Seattle, and wearing the jacket only made it hotter. Fortunately, I packed shorts and bought some comfortable shoes. There were some fine performances by other members of the staff, including Gene, George, Tim and The Pussycat Dolls. But none was dressed theatrically enough, in my opinion.


I have to do this all over again on Friday, when the only other writer here in Spokane, John Wiley, also leaves the company to work for the state. I have written a special tune for him, and hope to figure out how to put a clip on this blog.
Below is another picture from Dave's party, showing Dave, right, and Rachel, left, appearing to enjoy my performance.

No comments: