Monday, November 10, 2008

A Fistful of Nicks

I was cleaning out some files recently and came upon some pictures that were taken for an article the Yakima Herald wrote about me when I worked in that city for AP. I decided to mount these pix in a frame and hang it in my office, part of a general shrine to myself that I maintain.

You might notice I looked younger and a little more put together 17 years ago. I even wore a tie to work!

I definitely was a bit smarter. Here's an example: Ann and I were out to dinner with some friends on Sunday night. When the waitress was bringing us our wine, the bottle started to tip over on the tray. With reflexes honed by years of tennis playing, I managed to grab the bottle and save it, to the cheers of the crowd.

Being a funny guy, I joked to the waitress that I hoped she didn't think I was trying to cop a feel when I reached for the tottering bottle.

That stopped all conversation, and I spent the rest of the evening staring down at the table top in shame every time the waitress came back.

The old Nick would have never made such a blunder.

1 comment:

Aviva said...

No wonder the YH-R editor used to complain about the way I dressed for work. (He thought women should be in skirts and dresses, and although he couldn't legally say that to the women in his newsroom, he felt no compunction about commenting about my lack of a dress code.) No one ever told me you'd set the bar so high, Nick! No wonder I was never able to fill your shoes there. :)